Originally founded in 1853 as a wagon company in Switzerland, Sig Sauer is one of the best known names in firearms manufacturing. The three owners of the company, Friedrich Peyer imHof, Heinrich Moser, and Conrad Neher took adopted a plan to develop a rifle to be used in the Swiss army. This challenge was presented to them by Switzerland’s Ministry of Defense, and after 7 years of making wagons and rail cars, the Swiss Wagon Company began creating weapons.
After the development of the Prelaz-Burnand rifle, the Swiss Wagon Company received an award and an order for 30,000 rifles. They soon after changed the name of the company to the Scwhweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft (Swiss Industrial Company) and would be known to the rest of the work as SIG.
Beginning with just the one model of rifle, SIG went on to develop a line of pistols which made the Swiss army a formidable force in the fields of battle and became the firearm of choice for several competition shooters. By the 1970s, they ran the industry of small arms throughout Switzerland and West Germany. In the 1980s, they set their sights on American expansion.
To maintain their uphill climb, the American market was crucial to increase their profitability and take hold of a seat as one of the leading international leaders in the small arms industry. In January of 1985, SIGARMS Inc. was officially born to Tyson’s Corner, Virginia, moving soon after to Herndon, Virginia, and in 1992 was moved to its present location in Exeter, New Hampshire.
Today, SIG Sauer is a certified ISO 9001 company with over 800 employees, making it the largest member of a worldwide business group of firearms manufacturers. They are known for firearms knowledge base, design expertise, and extensive manufacturing capacity, making them able to respond quickly to the ever changing market conditions.